Once there was a young man. He wanted to be a businessman. So, he asked his parents for some money, bought some land and spent 2 months constructing an office. Then he bought expensive furniture. In 3 months, everything was ready.
On the first day of the fourth month, he threw a big party in celebration of starting a business.
On the second day, he hired staff to maintain the office.
On the third day, he hired an accountant, a clerk and a lawyer to help him with business.
And after all this, he sat down on the chair and started thinking, “What would my business be about?”
Stupid, wasn’t he?
After all, selecting a good field is the first thing to do when starting a business. And things are not that different with blogging. You need a good topic before starting a blog. And by good topic, I do not mean that you should just pick it randomly.
There are a lot of things to consider before you start a blog about something.
How To Choose Topic For Your Blog?
Audience: Are there people out there who want to read the given topic? This matters most if you want to make money with your blog because, with no readers, you can’t make any money! For example, “Blogging Tips For Students” can find many readers but if you start a blog about “Blogging Tips For Third Grade Students”, chances of getting a good readership are thin! Yes, I just made the third-grade stuff up because no better idea was coming to mind. But hey, an example is an example. I have every right to make things up!
Knowledge: Writing on a particular topic requires a good knowledge of it. You can not go out there and start writing anything up. You can not pretend to be an authority. And knowing alone is not enough. You should have experimented with it before and know a little bit more than the general public. You can not start a “Blogging Tips” blog at the start when you do not know much about blogging. People know the difference between actual tips and made up stuff and can see through if you are writing just for the sake of it.
Search Engine Traffic: Again, search engine traffic is related to monetizing your blog. This is because search engine visitors are known to generate more revenue than regular visitors. If there are not enough searches for the given topic, it might be a better idea to choose a more generic one.
What If I Start A Blog On Multiple Topics?
That’s another idea that may come to your mind. For example, if you are passionate about Blogging, Technology, and SEO, you can start a single blog about these topics. This approach has following pros and cons.
- Efficient Use Of Time And Resources: Efficiency is one big factor for bloggers. While starting multiple blogs can seem like a good idea, it may backfire if you do not have enough time and resources for them. To start multiple blogs, you will need more time and money. And add the management tasks like keeping plugins and platform up to date, you may end up spending lot of time on these topics, rather that writing content. If you are short on time or money, it is better to invest in one blog with multiple topics. Related Post: Efficiency Vs Effectiveness.
- Better Search Engine Rankings: Search engines love content. If you produce quality and original content for one blog and properly optimize it, it will get better rankings than 2 or 3 blogs on different topics.
- Better Content: With multiple blogs, you will have to be regular with writing for each of them. Let’s say you start 3 blogs about blogging, SEO, and technology respectively and write 3 posts per week on each of them. In this scenario, you have to write 9 posts a week, not an easy task. But if you go for 3 posts per week on a single blog, the quality of posts will go up!
- Hard To Make Money: If your blog is not focused on one single niche, it will be hard to make money because advertisers from one niche may not like posts on other niche and targeted ads may display irrelevant ads.
- Freedom: Writing on a single topic is not easy. You may suffer burnout. With a blog on multiple topics, you can write about another topic if you want!
How To Pinpoint The Topic
To pinpoint the exact topic, you will have to look around a bit. Not on your desk, inside your head. I have discussed step by step process in Finding The Topic That Will Make You Successful: 4 Steps To Success.
5 Questions To Ask Yourself
Once you have a topic in mind, ask following questions to yourself:
- Do I Have Time To Write?
- Can I write regularly on this subject?
- Is there enough audience in this niche?
- Do I know enough about it?
- Do I really know or am I just pretending to know?
Over To You
If you are a new blogger:
- What other questions do you have?
- Are you going to choose a multi-topic blog?
If you are an experienced blogger:
- What other advice do you have for new bloggers?
Do not forget to ReTweet this post or share on Facebook.