To market our blog or site, we promote it over social networking sites. When we promote, we do not use the entire web link. We will use URL shortener service. Url shortener is a service where your weblink will be shortened. There are many URL shorteners available in the market. You need to select the best one. Let’s see the list of top URL shorteners available in the market and the pros and cons of this service.
List of top URL shorteners
As the name indicates, this service is provided by Google. With this service, you can track the clicks you received. It also provides the chrome extension.
This is one of the oldest url shortener service and it is widely used by many people.
Hootsuite provides this service. You can use it on the web or mobile either through its dashboard or standalone service.
This service is offered by Tweetdesk. It can be used on Tweetdesk pc application and mobile devices. You can also tweet with this service upto 140 characters.
Provided by Stumbleupon, this is used to connect your contents with Facebook, twitter and stumbleupon
Though it is a browser compressor extension, its extension can be used with any browser. This service has the option called preview through you can see the original url.
We have seen the list of URL shorteners. Let’s see the pros and cons of using the service
Pros of URL shorteners
1. Easy to hide your long ugly link.
2. Very helpful with twitter to overcome the character limitation.
3. It will be helpful when you share your affiliate links.
4. Easy to use.
5. You can get the statistics for each click generated from the link.
6. Easy to customize and setup.
7. Your links will live forever.
Cons of URL shorteners
1. Since URL shorteners are considered as different links, it is a big drawback for SEO.
2. Many people will hesitate to click on the link. They will think it for virus or spam
3. Some people tend to find the destination of the URL. When they fail to find it, you may lose some visitors.
Url shorteners has both pros and cons. But pros outweigh the cons. What do you think. Share your thoughts in comments